Thomaskirche, Leipzig, Deutschland

St Thomas' Church, Leipzig, Germany

Église Saint-Thomas, Leipzig, Allemagne




During 1998 the organist of the Thomaskirche in Leipzig, Ullrich Böhme, published an article in German on the proposed new Woehl "Bach" organ. Dame Gillian Weir sent me a copy of this article, asking if I could translate it and publish it in the Sydney Organ Journal. This appeared as "A Bach organ for St Thomas' Church, Leipzig" in the Summer 1998-99 edition of the Sydney Organ Journal (p. 26). She also requested I send a copy of the English translation to Herr Böhme which I did. It was then re-published on a Université du Québec, Canada website both in English and French (although I had nothing to do with the French translation as indicated on their webpage) in a slightly extended article after the completion of the organ.

Below is a copy of that webpage from the Orgues et organistes / Organs and Organists site, but with the addition of some corrections and alternate translations taken from my original published translation for the SOJ which were not included on their webpage version. Click here for the English version.

Mark Quarmby

Click here for Mark Quarmby's website



Description
Description

[Français / English]
Composition sonore
Stop List

[Sauer / Woehl / Schuke]
Photographies
Photographs

Gallery




Sauer, 1889 / 1902 / 1908
Scheffler et Ullman, 1988/93
  • 3 claviers manuels et pédalier / 3 manuals and pedal
  • 88 jeux / stops, 108 rangs / ranks
  • Traction pneumatique des claviers et des jeux / Pneumatic key and stop action


Woehl, 2000
  • 4 claviers manuels et pédalier / 4 manuals and pedal
  • 61 jeux / stops, 84 rangs / ranks
  • Traction mécanique des claviers et des jeux / Mechanical key and stop action

[cliquer sur l'une ou l'autre des images ou ici pour obtenir une version agrandie]
[click on any image or here to obtain a larger picture]




L'église

En 1160, le margrave Otto le riche de Meissen accorda une charte civique au Château de Libzi et les territoires environnants. Les fouilles archéologiques entreprises sous le sanctuaire ainsi qu'à la croisée de la nef et des transepts ont mis à jour les fondations d'une église datant de la même période, laquelle pourrait être l'église du monastère des Augustiniens fondé en 1212 par le margrave Dietrich.

En 1355, le sanctuaire de style romanesque avait déjà été converti au style gothique. La fenêtre du côté nord du sanctuaire, le plancher de la tour, et la croisée de la nef et des transepts avec ses extensions vers le sud et le nord - incluant ses arches et corbeilles - datent d'avant 1355. Vers la fin du XVe siècle, la découverte et l'exploitation des mines d'argent dans le secteur Erzgebirge (collines sises au sud de la ville) apportèrent une grande prospérité pour la vile de Leipzig et, au cours des quarante années suivantes, les églises de la ville ont été rénovées et agrandies. En 1482, la nef de style romanesque a été démolie et remplacée par une autre de style gothique qui existe toujours. Elle a été consacrée en 1496 et, à l'exception de la tour qui a été complétée dans sa forme actuelle en 1702, l'architecture actuelle de l'église Saint-Thomas n'a pas changé depuis la fin du XVe siècle. Au cours du XVIIe siècles, des chappelles ont été ajoutées et une nouvelle façade avec deux escaliers a été construite le long du côté nord de la nef. Et, tout ceci a, de nouveau, été enlevé à la fin du XIXe siècle.

La prospérité due aux activités de commerce assurait que l'église disposait des sommes nécessaires pour continuellement adaptée celle-ci aux modes du jour. De 1884 à 1889, l'église fut l'objet d'une rénovation architecturale d'importance majeure: tous les éléments de style baroque furent enlevés - certains datant de la période de Bach (1723-1750) - et furent remplacés par des éléments de style néo-gothique tels qu'ils sont aujourd'hui. À la même période, la chaire et la porte principale de la façade ouest furent constuites. Le portique principal de la façade ouest fut aussi ajouté au cours de ces travaux de rénovation. Depuis ce temps, l'église a conservé son style néo-gothique. Les rénovations entreprises de 1961 à 1964 eurent pour objet principal de mettre encore plus en évidence le style gothique de l'église.

Après la réunification des deux Allemagnes en 1990, l'église Saint-Thomas a pu entreprendre une restauration complète; celle-ci était rendue nécessaire par cent ans de négligence. Le projet a été complété le 28 juillet 2000 pour la commémoration du 250e anniversaire de la mort de Bach. Le projet de rénovation incluait l'installation d'un nouvel orgue. Les fonds publics pour le projet de rénovation virent de l'Union Européenne, le gouvernement fédéral allemand, l'état de la Saxonie et, de la ville de Leipzig. Grâce au travail des membres de l'Association Thomaskirche-Bach 2000, une somme de 10 millions DM, somme nécessaire pour compléter le projet a été obtenue de la part de donateurs privés.

L'église mesure 76 mètres (249 pieds) de long. Quant à la nef, elle mesure 50 mètres (164 pieds) de long par 25 mètres (82 pieds) de large et a une hauteur de 18 mètres (59 pieds). Le toit de l'église possède une inclinaison inusuelle de 63 degrés. La hauteur de la tour est de 68 mètres (223 pieds).

Les orgues

Sans document d'archives à l'appui, le premier orgue à Saint-Thomas daterait de 1384. L'orgue suivant a été construit en 1489 par un facteur inconnu et, entre 1639 et 1741, année de son démentèlement, l'orgue était placé placé au-dessus de l'arche menant au sanctuaire dans un nid d'hirondelle. Utilisant les pièces d'un ancien orgue du monastère d'Eicha, un nouvel orgue a été construit et placé sur le jubé ouest en 1525. Cet orgue a été complètement reconstruit par Johann Lange en 1598/99. Même après plusieurs modifications, des portions de cet orgue existaient encore lorsqu'il fut démantelé en 1885. En 1886, Wilhelm Sauer a reçu la commande pour fabriquer un nouvel orgue lequel fut complété en 1889 et placé dans le jubé ouest. Il était de traction mécanique avec des sommiers à pistons.

En 1902, suite à des récriminations stipulant que l'orgue n'était pas assez puissant lorsque l'église est remplie de fidèles, Wilhelm Sauer ajouta la traction électro-pneumatique, 3 combinaisons ajustables, un ventilateur électrique et, apporta de légères modifications à l'intonation des jeux. Cet orgue contenait 65 jeux. La même année, Karl Straube devint le nouvel organiste et commença à concevoir des plans pour agrandir l'orgue de façon significative.

En 1907/8, Wilhelm Sauer ajouta 23 nouveaux jeux, de nouveaux sommiers et une nouvelle console avec claviers extensionnés. Entre les années 1930 et 1960, seize jeux furent changés afin de donner à l'orgue un caractère plus néo-baroque. Après que la décision fut prise, en 1966, d'ajouter un nouvel orgue néo-baroque spécifiquement dédié à la musique du temps de Bach, il faudra attendre environ vingt ans pour que la décision soit prise de restaurer l'orgue Sauer en le retournant aux spécifications de 1908. Ce travail fut complété par Christian Scheffler et Matthias Ullman entre 1988 et 1993.

Depuis 1967, un orgue, construit par la firme Alexander Schuke de Postdam, était placé dans le jubé nord-ouest. Celui-ci a été enlevé en 1999 et transporté à la cathédrale St. Mary's de Fürstenwalde afin de faire place au nouvel orgue Bach 2000.

L'église Saint-Thomas de Leipzig, où Johann Sebastian Bach fut actif pendant 27 ans en tant que « cantor », est l'un des plus important site au monde consacré à la préservation de la musique de Bach. Pour cette raison, un orgue où les toccates, préludes, fugues, préludes de chorals et, trios pourraient résonner de façon aussi authentique que possible, fut créé ici pour souligner l'année commémorative 2000. Il a été construit dans les ateliers de Gerald Woehl, à Marburg, selon les principes de la facture d'orgue d'Allemagne centrale au XVIIIe siècle. Les plus grands instruments de cette période sont, avec leur plenum gravitationnel et éclatant, avec le charme de leurs jeux individuels, avec un vent vif et une traction mécanique sensible, des candidats idéals pour la musique de Bach. Ce nouvel instrument est placé sur le jubé nord de l'église face à la fenêtre Bach.

Enfant, Johann Sebastian Bach a connu le grand orgue installé dans l'église Saint-Georges (Georgenkirche) à Eisenach, une oeuvre du facteur Georg Christoph Stertzing, d'Ohrdruf. La composition de cet instrument avait été conçue par l'oncle de J.S. Bach, l'organiste de la ville d'Eisenach, Johann Christoph Bach (1642-1703). Le jeune Johann Sebastian a du être très influencé par cet orgue car, au moment où il inspectait des orgues, il s'y référait souvent en matière de qualité sonore.

L'orgue Stertzing d'Eisenach, l'un des plus importants instruments de la Thuringie, n'existe plus. Sa grandiose composition, avec 60 jeux sur quatre claviers et pédalier, nous est toutefois parvenue grâce à des documents d'archives et a servi de base pour le nouvel orgue de l'église Saint-Thomas. Comme tous les orgues de Leipzig au temps de Bach, le nouvel orgue est au diapason 465 Hz. Une caractéristique spéciale permet de transposer l'instrument au complet de deux demi-tons plus bas. Un diaphason à 415 Hz permet d'exécuter de la musique d'ensemble instrumental avec des cordes baroques et des instruments à vent.

En concevant la forme du buffet de l'orgue, Gerald Woehl s'est inspiré de la forme externe de l'orgue Scheibe de l'église Pauliner (ou Université) de Leipzig. Johann Sebastian Bach examina cet orgue en 1717 et a écrit une expertise concernant cet instrument. La seule illustration de cet orgue a été obtenue grâce aux archives du facteur Johann Andreas Silbermann, de Strasbourg. Quoique construit à la fin du XXe siècle, le modèle historique du buffet de l'orgue est reconnaissable.

Ullrich Böhme


Johann Sebastien Bach

Leipzig est la mecque de tous les organistes. Ils s'y rendent en pélerinage à l'endroit même où Johann Sebastian Bach a oeuvré de 1723 à 1750 et où il y est enterré. À sa mort, Bach a été enterré dans une fosse anonyme (mais enregistrée) hors de l'église Saint-Jean (Johanneskirche) de Leipzig. Lors de travaux de rénovation vers la fin des années 1800, alors que la renommée du cantor était maintenant établie, son cercueil a été découvert et a été transféré à l'intérieur de l'église Saint-Jean. Comme l'église Saint-Jean a été détruite au cours de la Deuxième guerre mondiale, ses restes ont été transférés, en 1950, au pied de l'autel de l'église Saint-Thomas où, chaque jour, des fleurs y sont déposées.

[cliquer sur l'image ou ici pour obtenir une version agrandie]




The church

In 1160, Margrave Otto the Rich of Meissen granted a city charter to the Castle of Libzi and the settlement around it. Excavations in the quire and the crossing have uncovered the foundations of a church dating from the same period, which is believed to be the church for the Augustinian Monastery founded in 1212 by Margrave Dietrich.

By 1355, the Romanesque quire had already been converted to the Gothic style. The window on the north side of the quire, the lower floor of the tower, and the crossing with its extensions to the south and north - including its arches and corbels - date from before 1355. Toward the end of the 15th century, the discovery and mining of silver in the Erzgebirge (hills south of the city) brought great prosperity to Leipzig and, within the next forty years, the city's churches were renovated and enlarged. In 1482, the Romanesque nave was razed and replaced by the late-Gothic "Hall Church" that exists today. It was consecrated in 1496 and - with the exception of the tower which was completed in its present form in 1702 - the architecture of today's St. Thomas Church has not changed since the end of the 15th century. In the 17th century, chapels were added and a new facade with two staircases was built along the whole north side of the nave. But all this was removed again at the end of the 19th century.

The wealth due to commercial trade ensured that the church was continually being adapted according to the style of the day. From 1884 to 1889, the St. Thomas Church underwent its most radical architecture renovation: the entire church was stripped of its Baroque style - which dated from Bach's tenure there (1723-1750) - and was converted to the neo-Gothic style we see today. Also constructed at this time were the pulpit and the main door, which had been added to the west facade. The main portal on the west front was added during this major renovation. Since then, the church has maintained a neo-Gothic style. The next renovation, from 1961 to 1964, focussed mainly on accentuating the late-Gothic style of the Hall Church.

After the reunification of the two Germanies in 1990, the St. Thomas Church was able to undertake a total restoration process, badly needed after 100 years of neglect. The project was completed on July 28, 2000 for the commemoration of the 250th anniversary of Bach's death. Included in the renovation was the installation of the new Bach organ. Public funding for the renovation project came from the European Union, the German Federal Government, the State of Saxony, and the City of Leipzig. Due also to the successful work of the "Thomaskirche-Bach 2000 Association", the remaining 10 millions DM necessary to complete the project was raised through private donors.

The length of the entire church measures 76 meters (249 ft.), and the nave is 50 meters (164 ft.) long. The nave has a width 25 meters (82 ft.) and a height of 18 meters (59 ft.). The roof of the church has an unusually steep incline of 63 degrees. The tower is 68 meters high (223 ft.).

The organs

Although no records exist, the first organ in St. Thomas is said to have dated from 1384. The next organ was built in 1489 by an unknown builder and from 1639 until its removal in 1741, was located above the arch leading to the chancel in the form of a swallow's nest. Using material from a former organ in Eicha monastery, the church had a new organ built in the west gallery in 1515, which was then completely rebuilt by Johann Lange in 1598/9. Even after many alterations, parts of this organ still existed in the organ which was dismantled in 1885. In 1886, organbuilder Wilhelm Sauer was commissionned to built a new organ. It was completed in 1889 with mechanical action on cone chests.

In 1902, following complaints from the church stating that the organ was not powerful enough when the church was filled with people, Wilhelm Sauer added pneumatic action, 3 free combinations, an electric blower, stronger voicing and a slight change in the stops. This organ contained 65 stops. In the same year, Karl Straube began as the new organist. He started to make plans to significantly enlarge the organ.

In 1907/8, Wilhelm Sauer added 23 stops, additional wind chests and a new console with enlarged manuals. Between the 30's and the 60's, sixteen of Sauer's stops were exchanged to give the organ a "more neobaroque" character. In 1966, it was decided to add a second, smaller, neobaroque organ on the north gallery and it took twenty years to decide to restore the Sauer organ to the 1908 specification. This work was completed by Christian Scheffler and Matthias Ullman between 1988 and 1993.

Since 1967, an organ, built by Alexander Schuke from Postdam, stood in the northeast balcony, which was removed in 1999 and moved to St. Mary's Cathedral in Fürstenwaide in order to make room for the Bach 2000 organ.


A Bach organ for St Thomas' Church, Leipzig

The Thomaskirche in Leipzig, where Johann Sebastian Bach worked for 27 years as Thomaskantor, is one of the most important places in the world for the preservation of Bach's music. For this reason, an organ on which Bach's toccatas, preludes, fugues, chorale preludes and trios could sound as authentic as possible was created in the Bach Memorial Year 2000. It was built in the organ workshop of Gerald Woehl (in Marburg) in line with the principles of 18th-century middle-German organ manufacture. The biggest organs from this period have plenty of gravitas and, at the same time, have brilliant plenos, along with soft and delicate solo stops. With flexible winding and sensitive tracker action, these organs are ideally suited to Bach's music. The new instrument is located on the north gallery of the church, opposite the Bach window.

The tonal concept

As a child, Johann Sebastian Bach experienced the construction of a large new organ in the Georgenkirche in Eisenach in 1697. The master organ builder from Ohrdruf, Georg Christoph Stertzing was its builder. The specification was drawn up by J.S. Bach's uncle, the Eisenach City Organist Johann Christoph Bach (1642-1703). The young Johann Sebastian must have been strongly influenced by this organ, for he repeatedly demanded many of its tonal qualities when inspecting organs.

The Eisenach Stertzing organ, once one of the most significant instruments in Thuringia, no longer exists. Its large specification, with 60 stops on four manuals and pedals which served as the tonal basis for the new organ in the Thomaskirche, has been handed down to us thanks to archival documents. Like all Leipzig organs in Bach's time, the new organ is tuned in choir pitch (Chorton c. 465 Hz). As a special feature, it also has the ability to play in Baroque pitch [Kammerton] (c. 415 Hz) that allows ensemble music with baroque strings and wind instruments.

The architecture of the case

In designing the organ case, Gerald Woehl was inspired by the external shape of the Scheibe organ in the Pauliner (or University) Church in Leipzig. Johann Sebastian Bach examined this organ in 1717 and wrote a report about it. The only surviving illustration of this organ has been handed down to us from the archives of Strasburg organ builder Johann Andreas Silbermann. In order to adapt the concept of the Scheibe organ to the dimensions of the space available at St Thomas', an Oberwerk needed to be added to it. The organ case of the Bach organ clearly shows its creation at the end of the 20th century, but its historical model is also recognizable.

Ullrich Böhme, Mark Quarmby



Johann Sebastian Bach

Leipzig is a mecca for organists as they make their pilgrimage to the place where Johann Sebastian Bach worked from 1723 to 1750 and is now buried. Bach was originally buried in an unmarked (but remembered) grave outside St. John's Church in Leipzig. During renovation work in the late 1800s, by which time his greatness was being acknowledged, his coffin was discovered and moved inside the church. St. John's was destroyed during World War II, and, in 1950, Bach was moved to his final resting place to lie at the foot of the altar in St. Thomas Church where flowers adorn the grave every day.

[click on the images above to obtain a larger picture or
here to view several pictures of the organs in St Thomas']




Composition sonore / Stop List
Orgue Sauer / Sauer organ

Clavier manuel /
Manual I

Clavier manuel /
Manual II

Principal 16' Salicional 16'
Bordun 16' Gedackt 16'
Principal 8' Principal 8'
Geigenprincipal 8' Schalmei 8'
Viola di Gamba 8' Salicional 8'
Gemshorn 8' Harmonica 8'
Dulciana 8' Dolce 8'
Doppelfloete 8' Flûte harmonique 8'
Flûte harmonique 8' Komzertfloete 8'
Flauto dolce 8' Rohrfloete 8'
Gedackt 8' Gedackt 8'
Quintatön 8' Octave 4'
Quinte 5-1/3' Salicional 4'
Octave 4' Flauto dolce 4'
Gemshorn 4' Quinte 2-2/3'
Rohefloete 4' Piccolo 2'
Violini 4' Cornett III
Octave 2' Mixtur IV
Rauschquinte 2-2/3'+2' II Cymbel III
Mixtur III Tuba 8'
Cornett II-IV Clarinette 8'
Scharf V

Gross-Cymbel IV

Trompete 16'

Trompete 8'



Clavier manuel /
Manual III
(expressif / enclosed)

Pedal

Lieblich Gedackt 16' Majorbass 32'
Gamba 16' Untersatz 32'
Principal 8' Contrabass 16'
Viola 8' Principal 16'
Aeoline 8' Violon 16'
Voix céleste 8' Gemshorn 16'
Spitzfloete 8' Subbass 16'
Flûte d'amour 8' Salicetbass 16'
Gedackt 8' Lieblich Gedackt 16'
Gemshorn 8' Quintbass 10-2/3'
Quintatön 8' Offenbass 8'
Fugara 4' Principal 8'
Traversfloete 4' Cello 8'
Prestant 4' Gemshorn 8'
Quinte 2-2/3' Bassfloete 8'
Flautino 2' Dulciana 8'
Harmonia aetheria III Octave 4'
Oboe 8' Flauto dolce 4'
Trompette harmonique 8' Contraposaune 32'


Posaune 16'


Fagott 16'


Trompete 8'


Clarine 4'




Composition sonore / Stop List
Orgue Woehl / Woehl organ

Brustwerk I

Hauptwerk II

Grob Gedackt 8' Bordun 16'
Klein Gedackt 4' Principal 8'
Principal 2' Viol da gamba 8'
Super Gemsshörnlein II Rohrflöth 8'
Quint-Sexta II Quinta 6'
Sieflit 1' Octav 4'


Nassatquint 3'


Superoctav 2'


Queerflöth 2'


Sesqualtera III


Mixtur VI


Cimbel III


Fagott 16'


Trombetta 8'



Oberwerk III

Unterwerk (Echo) IV

Quintaden 16' Barem 16'
Principal 8' Still Gedackt 8'
Gedackt 8' Quintaden 8'
Gemshorn 8' Principal 4'
Flauta doux 8' Nachthorn 4'
Octav 4' Spitzföth 4'
Hohlflöth 4' Spitzquint 3'
Hohlquint 3' Octav 2'
Superoctav 2' Schweitzerflöth 2'
Blockflöth 2' Rauschquint 1-1/2'
Sesquialtera III Superoctävlein 1'
Scharff IV Cimbel III
Vox Humana 8' Regal 8'
Hautbois 8'

Glockenspiel


Tremulant




Pedal

Grosser Untersatz 32'
Principal 16'
Violon 16'
Sub Bass 16'
Octav 8'
Gedackt 8'
Quintaden 8'
Superoctav 4'
Bauerflöth 1'
Mixtur VI
Posaun Bass 32'
Posaun 16'
Trombet 8'
Cornet 2'




Enregistrements / Recordings:



Schuke, 1967
  • 3 claviers manuels et pédalier / 3 manuals and pedal
  • 47 jeux / stops, 75 rangs / ranks
  • Traction mécanique des claviers / Mechanical key action
  • Traction mécanique des jeux des claviers manuels /Mechanical stop action for manuals
  • Traction électro-pneumatique des jeux de la pédale /Electro-pneumatic stop action for pedal

[cliquer sur l'image ou ici pour obtenir une version agrandie]
[click on the image or here to obtain a larger picture]


Composition sonore / Stop List

Rückpositiv I

Hautpwerk II

Rohrflöte 8' Bordun 16'
Quintadena 8' Principal 8'
Principal 4' Spillpfeife 8'
Holzflöte 4' Oktave 4'
Sesquialtera II Spitzflöte 4'
Principal 2' Quinte 2-2/3'
Quinte 1-1/3' Oktave 2'
Septime 1-1/7' Scharff IV
Oktave 1' Mixtur VI-VII
Mixtur IV-V Trompete 16'
Krummhorn 8' Trompete 8'



Unterwerk III

Pedal

Gedackt 8' Principal 16'
Principal 4' Subbass 16'
Blockflöte 4' Quinte 10-2/3'
Rohrnassat 2-2/3' Oktave 8'
Oktave 2' Spitzflöte 8'
Waldflöte 2' Oktave 4'
Terz 1-3/5' Gemshorn 4'
Sifflöte 1' Weltprincipal 2'
Mixtur VI Rauschpfeife III
Cymbel III Mixtur VI
Spillregal 16' Posaune 16'
Trichterregal 8' Trompete 8'


Clairon 4'